My bee-themed classroom
For over 10 years my class was the “busy bees”. I had bees everywhere; every note home, every decoration, the “Bee”havior chart. This was before Pinterest, we had to get all of our ideas from the monthly Mailbox Magazine that would sit on the breakroom table. I had a great sign on my bee themed door that read;
“Sometimes looking into a classroom is a bit like looking into a beehive: the uninformed visitor may see lots of bees moving around in many different directions for no apparent reason, but the beekeeper knows what each bee is doing and how an activity fits with the overall pattern.” -unknown
A few years ago our school switched to an overall Beach/Ocean theme. It was so hard to replace all of the bees with dolphins but I love my more modern “Pinterest” coastal classroom.
Now back to the devotion;
Interesting Bee Facts:
- Did you know that each honey bee makes about 1 tablespoon of honey in its lifetime?
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces food for humans.
- If you look at a bee’s body it is not really designed for a flight with its oversized body and small wings but, it flies anyway?
- A bee needs it to be warm to fly, you will occasionally find bees asleep in flowerheads. When the bee starts to feel the warmth of the sun it begins to hover and does a little “dance” to warm up and clean off its body.
- There are over 67 verses in the Bible that refer to honey.
My top 5 Verses about Honey
- “Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healthy to the bones”. Proverbs 16:24
- “God has promised you a land flowing with milk and honey.” Deuteronomy 6:3
- “The law of the Lord is perfect…more desirable than gold, sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb“. Psalm 19:10
- “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth?” Psalm 119:103
- It is not good to eat so much honey, so for men to search for their own glory is not glory.” Proverbs 25:27
Ok, I do realize that my verses are about honey and not bees, but the bee verses weren’t sweet and loving verses. And I do realize that I pet a bumblebee and not a honey bee. But, this is how I roll!
Today, go for a walk and feel the warmth of the sun, maybe even do a little warm-up dance. Then, enjoy some milk and honey and think about how hard those bees worked for you. How much God cares about even the smallest creatures and how much more important you are to him. Meditate on the verses above. Let them be sweet thoughts for you.
Help me not lose sight of what a precious and perfect orchestra you have created in this world. How each animal has a job to do and each was created by your handiwork. Help me to live in your peace with the plans you have for my life. Let the sunshine warm my soul. Amen